Senior SEO Manager
Portland, Oregon, remote opportunities within the US
Help us take FINE to the next level!
We’re not just building beautiful digital destinations, we’re shaping the customer experience and driving true brand traction. As a SEO Manager at FINE, you can (and should) truly make big things happen, working alongside people as committed, passionate, and talented as you are.
At FINE, we are committed to our core values and strive to live them every day.
People here are the real deal. You bring genuine intentions, unite by your actions, stay humble in your greatness, open with your quirks, and honest in your flaws.
You’re at the top of your craft and game. Whatever your skill and role, you’re a highly engaged, positive solutioneer. A leader, a do-er, and an always improver.
MAKE BIG HAPPEN
You approach your work believing it has the power to impact our company, our clients, and even our world. All that you do is strategically motivated and aims for a world-class outcome.
SEO is critical to delivering impactful projects with the strategic impact and brand traction in the marketplace that our clients expect.
FINE is unique in that we generally focus on SEO for destinations that we design, build, and host. This means you'll get to enjoy a great relationship with our entire team of eccentric geniuses (in-house developers, web designers, copywriters, and project managers), as we all work together to build beautiful, search-friendly websites.
This is a contract-to-hire role. Once the SEO contractor converts to a full-time employee, benefits are provided (see "Career Benefits" section below).
As an SEO Manager, your deep background in, and passion for, delivering results-driven, strategic digital approaches will make you an important part of our team. You’ll bring a strong understanding of search engine optimization best practices and how to balance these tactics with business priorities and brand experience. If you aren’t into authentic, ethical SEO and content, you’re probably not right for this gig. Fighting for a position on the internet is only one aspect of marketing and your aim will be not just driving traffic, but helping companies achieve meaningful traction with the customers that matter most. In short, you can create, test, analyze, and refine until we have a strongly performing site converting visitors into valuable customers.
While we're looking for experienced talent, you don't need deep experience in all of these areas to still be a strong candidate. Applications are encouraged!
- SEO METADATA: Write custom title tags and meta description tags that integrate SEO keywords while also appealing to users. Keep track of how different keywords are being targeted and optimized across hundreds of different pages. Description tags in particular are where we’ll be seeking copywriting creativity and finesse.
- ONPAGE SEO: Organize content edits across dozens to 100s of website pages, suggesting where keywords could be worked into existing website copy in a way that does not compromise brand messaging or user experience.
- CONTENT LOADING: Load approved changes to a content management system (Wordpress or FAE), double-checking for accuracy and successful deployment.
- FINE BUILD CONSULTING: From website discovery to pre-launch validation, vet in-development FINE websites for SEO best practices in website architecture and search accessibility, with a goal to not only preserve existing organic traffic but ideally improve it.
- SEO AUDITS: Complete comprehensive SEO audits of non-FINE websites which we may be working with during any interim period, and help clients prioritize and implement recommendations.
- SEO ANALYSIS & REPORTING: Work within pre-existing, pre-designed Google Data Studio templates (if you’re familiar with Google Analytics this should be intuitive to learn) to create reports that identify action items and tell a clear story about organic performance
- KEYWORD RESEARCH: Create highly organized, carefully researched groups of keywords. Benchmark initial performance and evaluate pre/post performance.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT / CLIENT SUPPORT: Guide SEO projects from start to finish, and comprehensively support clients via phone and email.
- CONTENT STRATEGY: Identify opportunities and gaps in website content based on intel from keyword research and analytics tools.
- Creative writing chops with the ability to write compelling Title & Meta Description Tags that resonate not only with search engines, but also users.
- Ability to delicately incorporate keywords into existing content, without compromising user experience or brand voice.
- Experiece targeting different keywords across hundreds of pages
- Comprehensively support SEO clients via phone and email, guiding them through project milestones
- Ability to juggle several different projects at once.
- Experience working with CMS and building/administering content in CMS environments.
SEO Tools: Familiarity with:
- Screaming Frog
- Google Analytics (organic traffic and conversions)
- Google Search Console / Bing Webmaster Tools
- Google MyBusiness
- Authority Labs or a comparable keyword position tracking tool
- Moz.com (or comparable tools) that evaluate incoming links, website authority, keyword volume, and more.
- Bonus points for Google Tag Manager and Google Data Studio
- Ability to create highly specific, organized lists of target keywords based on client goals and existing website content
- Understanding of short tail of vanity terms vs. the long tail of search
SEO Basics & Ranking Factors
- 3-5+ years experience in SEO
- Deep knowledge of what makes a website search-friendly
- Up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in SEO
- Ability to identify, troubleshoot, and solve issues with website spidering, indexation, and traffic
- Experience in collaborating with developers and designers to provide SEO recommendations
- Problem-solving prowess: SEO frequently presents new issues we may not have an immediate answer to, and can require advanced troubleshooting to find a fix.
- Bonus points for experience in redesigns
Our values manifest themselves in a small group of dynamic, creative learners who are passionate about producing inspired and effective work, who seek to improve every day, and who understand that life is too short to not enjoy yourself along the way.
Our promise to clients is to help them evolve their brand and business to become their best selves, and deepen their relationships with customers. For the “A player” (that rare and talented top 10%) looking for something special, this position is the opportunity for you.
- Do you see brand, digital, and creative as powerful business drivers?
- Do you believe the best work is done in small groups of passionate experts?
- Do you love design that is simple, beautiful, and intuitive?
- Do you have a high level of attention to detail?
- Do you have a passion for serving others?
- Are you looking for a place to learn and challenge yourself every day?
- Are you able to maintain calm in times of stress?
- Do you focus on priorities to achieve set goals?
- Do you value the people you work with as much as the work itself?
- Do you look at work as a career rather than just a job?
- Are you inspired by the opportunity to address and solve interesting problems?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, we want to meet you!
FINE is a brand agency. But for us, branding has moved far beyond slick logos, flashy sites, and clever campaigns. It’s a deep process of building value, based on values. It starts with the core reason a company exists, then permeates everything you do about it. Brand-Led Business Building™ helps us engineer companies (including our own) by aligning Vision, Operations, Expression, and Traction to create the kind of business people today truly buy into.
Since 1994, we’ve earned hundreds of awards and worked with countless clients to help define businesses using brand as our lens. Our work and our people have been featured in Communication Arts, Graphis, HOW, Fast Co., Adweek, CMO.com, AdAge, and many others. We’re proud to have helped friends across industries, from pioneering hospitality brands to innovators and nonprofits of all shapes and sizes.
This is a contract-to-hire role. Once a contractor converts to a full time employee, benefits are provided.
We’re whole human beings here at FINE, and we’ve designed our benefits offerings to support our team in a whole range of human things. Things like:
- A selection of robust health plans (medical, dental, and vision) to choose from, with option for 100% employer-paid coverage
- Vacation, sick time, company paid holidays, and our annual holiday close
- A 401(k) plan combined with a discretionary company contribution, driven by company performance
- Company-paid group-term life insurance with the option to purchase additional coverage
- Short-term disability coverage
- Paid maternity/parental leave
- Professional development to keep you growing
- Pre-tax flexible spending accounts for dependent care as well as certain dental and vision expenses
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Flexible and remote working opportunities
- Friendly atmosphere and culture
- Competitive compensation package
- Outstanding work environment
- Working with other “A players” driven to create great client results
This Senior SEO Manager job opening is open to remote work locations within the United States, as well as from our Portland, Oregon office. Located in a newly renovated building in downtown Portland, the FINE PDX office is cozy, collaborative, and comfortable. Each unique space was designed with multiple uses in mind, whether a strategy session on the collaboration wall, refining a design idea over a cup of coffee in the Bistro, or visiting with a client in the Library. Note: As of Q4 2020, FINE employees are working remotely during the pandemic.
“FINE is full of deeply talented, kind, and caring people. It’s a place for creatives to be human—a place where you can do great work while sustaining the fullness of your life that inspires it."
— Terra, Senior Content Strategist & Writer
“Smart, kind, and agile, the people are (without a doubt) the best part of working at FINE.“
— Thais, Senior Project Manager
“FINE offers the perfect balance of a humanity-first approach to business and envelope-pushing aspirations. It’s the harmony between the two that’s continually impressed me and inspired me to want to give back not just through my work ethic, but in my desire to help see the business thrive. Leadership consistently exemplifies a deep consideration and care for the team, especially in their rallying for self-advocacy and continued personal growth – which can certainly be advertised by any agency, but to actually follow through requires a real level of trust and commitment.“
— Mehran Azma, Associate Creative Director
More FINE Details
Our Hiring Process
Our business may be small, but we think hiring’s a big deal. So we take a very thorough approach to finding the right fit for both our company and each human who comes to work here. Our process includes several interviews, an analysis of your career history, and in-depth reference checks. We respect your time and appreciate your participation in our mutual goal to help you find the ideal position for your skills and strengths.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We believe in this big-time. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. FINE does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
How to Apply
If you feel you are up for our in-depth hiring process and want to contribute to a dynamic, growing company, please begin your application by clicking Apply Now below.
Phone calls and emails are not accepted.