Portland, Oregon, remote opportunities within +/- 2 hours PST
Help us take FINE to the next level!
“More and more, companies depend on what we do to lead their business direction. We’re not just shuffling boxes around on sitemaps and wireframes, we’re helping to shape customer experience and brand impact. At FINE, our Information Architect can (and should) truly make big things happen, working alongside people as committed, passionate, and talented as you are. Plus, we’re nice.” -FINE
At FINE, we are committed to our core values and we strive to live them every day.
People here are the real deal. You bring genuine intentions, unite by your actions, stay humble in your greatness, open with your quirks, and honest in your flaws.
You’re at the top of your craft and game. Whatever your skill and role, you’re a highly engaged, positive solutioneer. A leader, a do-er, and an always improver.
MAKE BIG HAPPEN
You approach your work believing it has the power to impact our company, our clients, even our world. All that you do is strategically motivated, and aims for a world-class outcome.
Our values manifest themselves in a small group of dynamic, creative learners who are passionate about producing inspired and effective work, who seek to improve every day, and who understand that life is too short to not enjoy yourself along the way.
Our promise to clients is to help them evolve their brand and business to become their best selves, and deepen their relationships with customers. For the “A player” (that rare and talented top 10%) looking for something special, this position is the opportunity for you.
Do you see brand, digital, and creative as powerful business drivers?
Do you believe the best work is done in small groups of passionate experts?
- Do you love IA and design that is simple, beautiful, and intuitive?
- Do you have a high level of attention to detail?
- Do you have a passion for serving others?
- Are you looking for a place to learn and challenge yourself every day?
- Are you able to maintain calm in times of stress?
- Do you focus on priorities to achieve set goals?
- Do you value the people you work with as much as the work itself?
- Do you look at work as a career rather than just a job?
- Are you inspired by the opportunity to address and solve interesting problems?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, we want to meet you!
FINE is a brand agency. But for us, branding has moved far beyond slick logos, flashy sites, and clever campaigns. It’s a deep process of building value, based on values. It starts with the core reason a company exists, then permeates everything you do about it. Brand-Led Business Building® helps us engineer companies (including our own) by aligning Vision, Operations, Expression, and Traction to create the kind of business people today truly buy into.
Since 1994, we’ve earned 100s of awards and worked with countless clients to help define businesses using brand as our lens. Our work and our people have been featured in Communication Arts, Graphis, HOW, Fast Co., Adweek, CMO.com, AdAge, and many others. We’re most proud to have helped friends across industries, and all company sizes and shapes:
- Pioneering hospitality from Kimpton Hotels to The Coppola Companies to Bode, historic properties like Hotel del Coronado or Canyon Ranch, and global players like IHG and Viceroy
- The many brands of Ste Michelle Wine Estates, pioneers like Mondavi, Silver Oak, Jordan and Cakebread, global leaders like Pernod Ricard, boutique wineries like Darioush, and America’s first craft beers at Anchor Brewing
- The consumer tech revolutions of Symantec, Norton, Cisco, and Apple
- Leaders in private equity, and venture capital investing in the next big things
- Placemakers like Carmel Partners, Pebblebrook, JP Allen, to concepts transforming culinary like Makr, or later life like UK’s Guild Living
- Innovators changing the world through tech like Lime and Mojo or with missions to save the world, like BrightEdge and The American Cancer Society
In many ways, IA is the heartbeat of what we do. Information Architecture is critical to delivering impactful brand and digital projects with the velocity, quality, and strategic impact our clients expect.
Your role will be to guide our team by thoughtfully documenting information architecture and project requirements with customer experience top of mind. You’ll work with our internal teams and with clients to assemble logical content structures and distill requirements. You’ll ground our design and creative work with a clear framework that leaves room for the most compelling ways to bring brands to life in words, images, and functionality. As our chief Information Architect, you’ll ensure that development teams know what to build and, more importantly, if what they’ve built fits the bill. In short, we’re living in an information age and you’ll help us wrangle it incredibly well.
Responsibilities: Things You’ll Do
- Lead workshops and interviews on functional (and content) requirements and needs with mid- and senior-level clients
- Develop core IA / UX consulting deliverables: sitemaps, navigational flows, taxonomy, digital ecosystem mapping, user flows, functional and content requirements, high level data models, build specifications, and test plans for our digital projects
- Collaborate with the team members on each project from start to finish to support and steward requirements, IA, and specs
- Refine and/or lead ongoing evolution to our company’s core IA, UX, requirements, and specifications document templates and approach
- Perform basic data modeling and mapping and working with our technical team as needed to validate
- Participate in QA and beta testing to ensure functionality meets the specifications
- Collaborate on our core tech stack and the continued evolution of our core systems, assessing new capabilities, tools and integrations.
Qualifications: Traits and Experience
- Background working with large, complex digital products including websites and apps outside of ‘box’ cms platforms
- Experience as a subject matter expert and advisor for internal teams as well as a trusted partner for clients
- Ability to balance and prioritize several projects and tasks at once
- 'Think on your feet' and come up with creative and appropriate solutions that wow clients and internal collaborators while staying within scope
- Driven, self-managing self starter with a passion for the digital medium but doesn’t get sucked into the ‘newest shiniest’ thing
- Good client-facing and project management skills to help identify needs, fill in blanks, solve problems, and keep team deliverables flowing through production
More FINE Details
We’re whole human beings here at FINE, and we’ve designed our benefits offerings to support our team in a whole range of human things. Things like:
- A selection of robust health plans (medical, dental, and vision) to choose from, with option for 100% employer-paid coverage
- Vacation, sick time, company paid holidays, and our annual holiday close
- A 401(k) plan combined with a discretionary company contribution, driven by company performance
- Company paid group term life insurance with option to purchase additional coverage
- Short-term disability coverage
- Professional development to keep you growing
- Pre-tax flexible spending accounts for dependent care as well as certain dental and vision expenses
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Flexible and remote working opportunities
- Friendly atmosphere and culture
- Competitive compensation package
- Outstanding working environment
- Working with other “A players” driven to create great client results
This Information Architect job opening is for our Portland, Oregon office, with the potential to work remotely within +/- 2 hours PST. Located in a newly renovated building in downtown Portland, the FINE PDX office is cozy, collaborative, and comfortable. Each unique space was designed with multiple uses in mind, whether a strategy session on the collaboration wall, refining a design idea over a cup of coffee in the Bistro, or visiting with a client in the Library. Note: As of Q3 2020, FINE employees are working remotely during the pandemic.
“I’ve worked on multiple projects building sites for everything from wineries to private equity clients. There’s always an interesting new feature or challenge to overcome with each project, and our designers always bring fresh ideas to the table. Part of a successful build is coming up with ways to create flexible object oriented data models without over engineering too much complexity into it, so that sites can evolve and change with the client’s needs over time.“ -Jeremy, Developer
“Smart, kind, and agile, the people are (without a doubt) the best part of working at FINE.“ -Thais, Senior Producer
“FINE offers the perfect balance of a humanity-first approach to business and envelope-pushing aspirations. It’s the harmony between the two that’s continually impressed me and inspired me to want to give back not just through my work ethic, but in my desire to help see the business thrive. Leadership consistently exemplifies a deep consideration and care for the team, especially in their rallying for self-advocacy and continued personal growth – which can certainly be advertised by any agency, but to actually follow through requires a real level of trust and commitment.“. -Mehran Azma, Senior Designer
Our Hiring Process
Our business may be small, but we think hiring’s a big deal. So we take a very thorough approach to finding the right fit for both our company, and for each human who comes to work here. Our process includes several interviews, an analysis of your career history, and in-depth reference checks. We respect your time and appreciate your participation in our mutual goal to help you find the ideal position for your skills and strengths.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We believe in this big-time. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. FINE does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
How to Apply
If you feel you are up for our in-depth hiring process, and feel you can contribute to a dynamic, growing company, please begin your application by clicking Apply Now below. Phone calls and emails are not accepted.