Portland, remote within the US
Help us take FINE to the next level!
We specialize in the art of Brand-Led Business Building™. Branding goes beyond slick logos, flashy sites, and clever campaigns. It’s a deep process of building value, based on values. It starts with the core reason a company exists, then permeates everything you do about it. As a Brand Strategist at FINE, you can (and should) truly make big things happen, working alongside people as committed, passionate, and talented as you are.
At FINE, we are committed to our core values and strive to live them every day.
People here are the real deal. You bring genuine intentions, unite by your actions, stay humble in your greatness, open with your quirks, and honest in your flaws.
You’re at the top of your craft and game. Whatever your skill and role, you’re a highly engaged, positive solutioneer. A leader, a do-er, and an always improver.
MAKE BIG HAPPEN
You approach your work believing it has the power to impact our company, our clients, and even our world. All that you do is strategically motivated and aims for a world-class outcome.
Every small detail of a company’s approach sends a message that over time can have a massive effect on the whole. It's the branding equivalent of the butterfly effect.
Your deep background in, and passion for, helping companies align their purpose and values to cut through the chaos of the marketplace will help. You’ll bring a strong understanding of brand, including experience engaging with clients. In short, you build value in every deliverable and leave clients’ in awe of the results.
- Learn clients’ business across a wide array of industries and develop brand strategies to set them apart from the competition
- Lead project kickoffs and discoveries; review and analyze client assets/materials; draft custom client surveys; guide and perform market/competitive research; conduct client stakeholder interviews/group work sessions; develop audience profiles/personas; distill and summarize key takeaways; identify brand opportunities
- Craft and write final recommendations; develop strategic positioning; define key brand elements; present and pitch findings and recommendations to client
- Drive the brand promise forward through tactical execution to include things like developing experience touch-points, customer journeys, brand playbooks, training documentation, etc.
- Act as brand advocate throughout the brand expression and execution phases of the project; ensure that messaging, identity, collateral, website, campaigns, and even operations reflect original strategy/positioning
- Interface with client at key project milestones and talk through strategy of deliverables; consult on direction adjustments as required
- Participate in regular dialog with clients to identify new initiatives, advise on activities, document new projects/initiatives, etc.
- Craft proposals and statements of work for new projects and initiatives; participate in new business pitches
- Ensure strategy deliverables and toolkits meet internal and external expectations so they can be consistently and repeat-ably executed at an industry-leading level
5+ years of experience in a client-facing role developing brand and communications strategies and plans
A number of brand strategy projects you can story-tell about in a way that makes it clear you were an integral part of their development
Expertise in hospitality, placemaking, experience design, and/or travel related branding a big plus
A demonstrably high-level of strength in the following skills and qualities:
- Interfacing with clients to identify needs, build confidence, develop a strong point of view, and successfully pitch strategic work
- Research and analysis
- Strategic thinking, brand concept definition, articulating benefits/differentiators
- Writing, documenting, concepts through to finished and polished (and not too verbose) verbiage
- Cross-functional, internal team collaborator
- Communication tools: Powerpoint/Keynote, Google docs, Word, etc.
- Ability to work across multiple concurrent projects at once (~3-6)
Our values manifest themselves in a small group of dynamic, creative learners who are passionate about producing inspired and effective work, who seek to improve every day, and who understand that life is too short to not enjoy yourself along the way.
Our promise to clients is to help them evolve their brand and business to become their best selves, and deepen their relationships with customers. For the “A player” (that rare and talented top 10%) looking for something special, this position is the opportunity for you.
- Do you see brand, digital, and creative as powerful business drivers?
- Do you believe the best work is done in small groups of passionate experts?
- Do you love design that is simple, beautiful, and intuitive?
- Do you have a high level of attention to detail?
- Do you have a passion for serving others?
- Are you looking for a place to learn and challenge yourself every day?
- Are you able to maintain calm in times of stress?
- Do you focus on priorities to achieve set goals?
- Do you value the people you work with as much as the work itself?
- Do you look at work as a career rather than just a job?
- Are you inspired by the opportunity to address and solve interesting problems?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, we want to meet you!
FINE is a brand agency. But for us, branding has moved far beyond slick logos, flashy sites, and clever campaigns. It’s a deep process of building value, based on values. It starts with the core reason a company exists, then permeates everything you do about it. Brand-Led Business Building™ helps us engineer companies (including our own) by aligning Vision, Operations, Expression, and Traction to create the kind of business people today truly buy into.
Since 1994, we’ve earned hundreds of awards and worked with countless clients to help define businesses using brand as our lens. Our work and our people have been featured in Communication Arts, Graphis, HOW, Fast Co., Adweek, CMO.com, AdAge, and many others. We’re proud to have helped friends across industries, from pioneering hospitality brands to innovators and nonprofits of all shapes and sizes.
We’re whole human beings here at FINE, and we’ve designed our benefits offerings to support our team in a whole range of human things. Things like:
- A selection of robust health plans (medical, dental, and vision) to choose from, with option for 100% employer-paid coverage
- Vacation, sick time, company paid holidays, and our annual holiday close
- A 401(k) plan combined with a discretionary company contribution, driven by company performance
- Company-paid group-term life insurance with the option to purchase additional coverage
- Short-term disability coverage
- Professional development to keep you growing
- Pre-tax flexible spending accounts for dependent care as well as certain dental and vision expenses
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Flexible and remote working opportunities
- Friendly atmosphere and culture
- Competitive compensation package
- Outstanding work environment
- Working with other “A players” driven to create great client results
This Brand Strategist job opening is for our Portland, Oregon office, with the potential to work remotely within the United States. Located in a newly renovated building in downtown Portland, the FINE PDX office is cozy, collaborative, and comfortable. Each unique space was designed with multiple uses in mind, whether a strategy session on the collaboration wall, refining a design idea over a cup of coffee in the Bistro, or visiting with a client in the Library. Note: As of Q3 2021, FINE employees are working remotely during the pandemic.
“FINE is full of deeply talented, kind, and caring people. It’s a place for creatives to be human—a place where you can do great work while sustaining the fullness of your life that inspires it."
— Terra, Senior Content Strategist & Writer
“FINE offers the perfect balance of a humanity-first approach to business and envelope-pushing aspirations. It’s the harmony between the two that’s continually impressed me and inspired me to want to give back not just through my work ethic, but in my desire to help see the business thrive. Leadership consistently exemplifies a deep consideration and care for the team, especially in their rallying for self-advocacy and continued personal growth – which can certainly be advertised by any agency, but to actually follow through requires a real level of trust and commitment.“
— Mehran Azma, Associate Creative Director
More FINE Details
Our Hiring Process
Our business may be small, but we think hiring’s a big deal. So we take a very thorough approach to finding the right fit for both our company and each human who comes to work here. Our process includes several interviews, an analysis of your career history, and in-depth reference checks. We respect your time and appreciate your participation in our mutual goal to help you find the ideal position for your skills and strengths.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We believe in this big-time. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. FINE does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
How to Apply
If you feel you are up for our in-depth hiring process and feel you can contribute to a dynamic, growing company, please begin your application below. Phone calls and emails are not accepted. Please be sure to add email@example.com to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.
Phone calls and emails are not accepted.